Google, the World Wide Web’s leading authority, gives authors the added advantage of having more credibility through its Google authorship. How does it work? Every writer knows the importance of being friends with Google. That’s why they employ SEO, good content and all that stuff – all to please Google, the undisputed King of the Internet.
But why do you really need Google Authorship? Here are three reasons:
- It gives you credibility. Credibility comes in the form of a Google ID. Think of it as your social security or driver’s license number that is only awarded to you and you alone. In the King’s eyes, this ID means that you are the original author.
- It identifies you with your content. This is your best defense against plagiarism.
- It can lead to more visitors to your site. Nothing spells more credibility than having your headshot beside your content’s link in Google. And as they say, pictures create more clicks than a thousand words ever can.
Setting Google Authorship Up
But how do you setup Google authorship in your WordPress site? Here’ how:
- Of course, you’ll have to have an account in Google +. Login, click your profile, and look for the area that says “contributor to and links”. Enter your link and save. Copy your Google+ profile link that appears in the address bar.
- Go to your WordPress dashboard and look for the Google+ option box. This is where you’ll paste your Google+ profile link. Save it.
- Go to Google, key in “rich snippet tool” in the search box and look for http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/richsnippets. Paste your link to the box that says URL and click preview. If you did it right, you’ll see your headshot beside your content’s link. Otherwise, you might be using an older version of WordPress or you might have issues with your theme.
For more details, please check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4gCdqKsJcU.
Yes, Google authorship gives writers like you more advantages and it’s easy to set up as well.